Sunday, January 29, 2006

The gloves are done

Today, I completed the knitting of a pair of Nona's i-cord gloves for the Peaceful Palms KAL for the first time.



I say "for the first time", because I will be ripping the right glove back to the thumb gusset and reknitting. I didn't notice the 'knit 2 rows plain' in between the thumb gusset decreases, until I was knitting the gusset on the second glove. I have to fix this because 1) the gusset is too short and 2) the decreases laddered like crazy and 3) the second glove fits so much better!



What did I do different between the first and second glove?
- Beside knitting the thumb gusset as instructed?
- After attaching the pinky, I decreased 3 stitches across the top of the hand to hopefully eliminate the buckle that my first glove has.
- I knit the palms on three dpns. I found it much easier to avoid ladders than when using 2 circs. (or maybe it was just the quick decrease of the thumb gusset on glove #1 that caused the problems)

Would I knit them again?
You betcha. In fact, I am going to go reknit the palm of glove #1 right now. Well, as soon as I reach that sparkly thing down off the shelf for DD.

What would I do different?
I would make the fingers shorter. One thing I was unsure of when knitting these was whether to knit the fingers to the length of my finger measured from the palm side or the top of the hand side. I bet you never realized these lengths are different? I knit my fingers to the top of the hand length, because there is nothing worse than too short gloves. Except, perhaps, gloves that are too long.

Thanks again Nona, for a great (free) pattern, and a fun knitalong! I learned a lot from reading about everyone else's experiences!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen,
The gloves look great! Love the color.
Your SP!

e's knitting and spinning blog said...

They look beautiful and seriously wearable Jen!

CatonsvilleCats said...

Aren't gloves fun? I don't think I could knit them fingers-down, though, I think it would make me nuts!

Anonymous said...

Are they done for the second time yet? Hopefully third time's the charm. Third time knitting the thumb gusset that is. I'm still glovin' the colorway though.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!